Although Mars is a brand label that appears worldwide, the Mars products that we sell are specific to the Australian and UK markets. The Mars Bar for instance, is a different chocolate bar from the American version. Malteasers are also a very popular item - small balls of crisp malt covered in milk chocolate. If you like coconut, give the Bountys a go! Sweet, juicy, tender coconut dipped in milk chocolate, or dark chocolate, whichever you prefer. Note that we sell individual items as well as boxes of them (at 10% discount!).
The Mars Bar is one of Mars' most famous chocolate bars in Australia and the UK, and consists of a centre of soft nougat and creamy caramel wrapped in milk chocolate... mmmmmm. An interesting way of eating a Mars Bar was invented in the Scotish town of Aberdeen, and that is to coat a chilled Mars Bar in batter and deep fry it! It's great served with ice cream, and here's the recipe for those adventurous folk out there:
1 Mars Bar
1 cup of plain flour
1/2 cup of corn flour
a pinch of bicarb' soda / baking soda
milk or beer
oil for deep frying
1) Chill the mars bars whole, or cut into bite sized pieces (don't freeze).
2) Mix bicarb' soda or baking soda in a bowl with corn flour and plain flour
3) For a light batter, gradually add beer and mix until the batter's consistency is that of thin cream. Otherwise, use milk instead.
4) Heat the oil to about 180°C (~355°F), or hot enough to quickly brown any bread placed in it, but not so hot that it smokes.
5) Coat the Mars Bars or Mars Bar pieces completely in batter and gently lower them into the oil, frying until golden brown.
6) Serve with ice cream.